Chinese technology and smartphone maker Huawei has launched its new operating system Harmony OS at its developer conference. There was news about this operating system for several months.
It is also said to be the product of the ongoing trade war between China and America. In fact, in May, Huawei launched its new operating system after the US government banned the software support of American companies to Chinese company Huawei.However, later the US government lifted the ban on Huawei.
At the Developers Conference, Huawei made it clear that Harmony OS has not been brought in as a replacement for Android OS. This new operating system has been introduced as multi-device connectivity. However, there are 8 reasons that may make Harmony OS a challenge for Android.
According to Counterpoint’s recently released Q1 2019 report, Huawei is currently the world’s largest shipment company after Samsung.Huawei has shipped 59.1 million smartphones globally in the first quarter of the year. Google would not want such a large company using Android operating system to go through. But, after the launch of Harmony OS, it can present a new challenge for Android.
- The Chinese government may ask other Chinese companies Xiaomi, OnePlus, Vivo, Oppo to use Harmony OS amid the price war going on between China and the US. In such a situation, the large market of Google may be lost.
- China may also prevent its app developers from building apps for the Android operating system. In such a situation, Android users will not get many apps, after which users can switch to Harmony OS.
- Huawei may also become a big competitor for Google in Europe. Huawei has a good userbase in the European market. Apart from this, Huawei’s smartphones are also sold in South Asian countries.
- If the US advances the ban on Huawei, China can also ban other US companies including Google. In such a situation, Google’s Android operating system can suffer a huge loss.
- Huawei itself is a large technology company that develops software as well as products such as chipsets, telecom equipment.
- If Huawei users use HarmonyOS, then Google may have to make its Google Suite service available to users for the future.